On November 26, 1945, these four men met at the Pigeon State Bank and, together with Leo Bliss (who later became the corporation’s first secretary), held the first meeting of the corporation. The following officers were elected: President Harry Leslie, Vice President Floyd Richmond, Secretary Leo Bliss, Treasurer Ernest Clabuesch and Director Fr. Hafner.
The group was presented with the task of selling $50,000 worth of securities in a golf club to the public, 90% of whom had never held a golf club in their hands.Their first work met with tremendous success. Every member, with the exception of two, of the Pigeon Rotary Club subscribed for stock and became members. Meetings were then held in Sebewaing, Caseville and Elkton, where much interest was shown and several members acquired. Hafner, Clabuesch and Leslie spent considerable time soliciting for members on Sand Point.
Hafner obtained the services of golf architect Dave Millar to draw plans for the perspective course. Building of the fairways began on February 9, 1946 with Art Kohl of Bay Port Contracted to remove trees, blast out stumps, establish grades and prepare the land for seeding. Sturm & Eichler Tiling Co. were given the job of tiling the property.When Millar died very suddenly in July, Hafner came to the rescue by spending many days and weeks of his own time constructing the course.Over 47,000 feet of lumber was sold off the property, about 200 cords of wood was salvaged and sold – and 11,000 sticks of dynamite were needed to blow out the stumps, some 40-inches in diameter. When Fr. Hafner was called to another parish, Harry Leslie obtained the services of Mr. & Mrs. Ed Sherwood. Mr. Sherwood served as golf professional and greens’ keeper and took charge of the finishing of the greens and fairways as well as the construction of the watering system. Mrs. Sherwood later worked in the pro shop for many years.
In the spring of 1948, Sherwood and his helpers put the finishing touches on the fairways and the greens, cleaned up the rough and re-seeded. The new golf shop was also completed at this time.
Scenic Golf & Country Club was opened for business on May 15, 1948. The clubhouse building committee, consisting of F.H. McKay, John Baker, Ezra Wood, art List, Dr. C.A. Scheurer and R.H. Leslie, worked for two years in making the clubhouse a reality. The dedication of the clubhouse took place on July 31, 1949 with a buffet luncheon. Fr. Hafner returned for a dedicatory address.
An additional nine holes were constructed and ready for play on June 14, 1971. Later a second cart barn was added and a Pro shop constructed in 1989. During 1994, the front and back nines were reversed. This was to speed up play, allowing more members to use the course. In 1997 Ron Farris was contracted to redesign the golf course, with the work being done by Tim Furness. The clubhouse was also remodelled at the same time….